Scrap Metal Value of N&W Big Steam

Mon Jun 5 18:11:26 EDT 2017

Ken -  How times have changed!!  In 2017 a builder’s plate from N&W J sells at auction for $13,500 plus 5% buyers premium and shipping.  This is just an interesting comparison to the $5000 for the complete locomotive in 1959.  I am just so glad that I got to ride behind 611 several times and got a cab ride in the 611 thanks to Robert Claytor from Roanoke to Lynchburg back in 1986!  Always take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself.  I rode the September 1994 trip from Cincinnati to Portsmouth and back and had a great trip riding first class for the first time with three meals served on board.  Three weeks later the program was killed!!  Be glad for what we had!

Ron Muldowney