RE Scrap Metal Value of N&W Big Steam (NW Mailing List)

Tue Jun 6 11:52:07 EDT 2017

Thanks to all for the insight. For a mere 5K (though a fair amount of money
in 1959) I am surprised other loco's weren't saved/bought out from under
the scrapper.

To Ken MIller;

Yes my mention of the Lost Engines of Roanoke may not have quite fit my
narrative of those locos that could have been saved but weren't. But, I
thought I recall several individuals and groups tried to acquire them many
years ago but were always rebuffed until they were "saved" several years
ago. So I brought them up in passing. I am sure there are better examples
but not sure of that.

To Jack:
Prince's book "Norfolk & Western Railway‑‑Pocahontas Coal Carrier" has a
list of every N&W steam locomotive with info such as builder, build date,
construction no., disposition, etc." From page 147 I found the following

600   Scrapped   June 1959
613   Scrapped   March 1959

In fact all J's appear to have been scrapped/sold in 1959. Of course with
the exception of 611.

Kevin Byrd
Chesterfield, VA