Scrap Metal Value of N&W Big Steam (NW Mailing List)

Tue Jun 6 17:53:11 EDT 2017

Once upon a time, there was no such thing as a Transportation Museum.  But now, in numerous locations;
they do exist.  I have visited Steamtown ( 2 locations ); Railroader's Memorial Museum ( Altoona ); and now
serve as a tour guide at the MOT ( St. Louis ).  Each had a beginning, and in some fashion, acquired the
collection of artifacts which they maintain for visitors.  The Museum in Roanoke is but a shadow of what
"might have been ".  Not meant as a blast at the N&W; they had a window of opportunity and chose not
to act.  Sure would have been nice to visit a restored A, J, improved Y, K, S; maybe even the shell of JH.

PRR did save 'one of each', storing them at Northumberland PA until "someone" created the State Museum
at Strasburg.  UP donated a number of retired steamers across the breadth of its domain.  But other railroads
did not.  Notably, the NYC, CNJ, Wabash, etc.  My personal mission at the MOT is to help visitors understand
the history of Railroading, using the collection started by Doctor Roberts in 1946.

Jerome Crosson;  NWHS, formerly NJ, now St. Peters MO.