ERROR!

Fri Jul 14 12:37:25 EDT 2017

Kevin

In all my years studying CTC and their machines (since 1940s) and spending over 600 hours watching, helping and finally taking the place of a dispatcher at a CTC board at the CRR/CSX office in Erwin TN (1977-1991), I never once heard/read about the signal numbers being determined by the distance (inches) from the left side of the board.  Yes, normally they started with 2 (or 4 on the CRR) and skipped sequence whenever a space was left empty (for later changes) and yes, these locations were 2” apart on the board, but to my knowledge, the numbering had nothing to do with “inches.”  I could be wrong on this, and if so I apologize.

Other than this minor issue, my article on signaling was enhanced once again by Larry Evans’ material and your selection of photos.

Glenn