Wreck of VGN 702

Tue Jul 18 07:58:08 EDT 2017

     I was reading the article [Arrow Vol. 33, No.2] about the wreck of
Virginian engine #702. I noticed that the engine diagram on page 27
shows a small rectangular four axle tender. On page 30, the ICC
investigation reports the tender as rectangular in shape with two four
wheel trucks and a capacity of 12,000 gals of water. This description
being consistent with the drawing. Now, look at the photo. Laying on its
side is a larger N&W style tender (probably with six wheel trucks). Any
guess as to the inconsistencies?

Jimmy Lisle