diamond tie tags

Tue Sep 5 13:50:37 EDT 2017

Was walking the Peavine the other day and noticed some diamond-shaped tags
on some of the ties (photos attached).  I saw one "series" starting at 0
and going up by increments of 1/2 ending at 3 1/2.
The tags were placed on every 20th tie such that a 1/2 tag was on the 20th
tie after the 0 tag and a 1 tag twenty ties later, etc. up to 3 1/2.  I'm
wondering at the purpose of "permanently" marking a series of groups of
twenty ties.
Anybody any knowledge or speculation on the purpose of these tags?
Thanks,
Jim Cochran

Moderator: