diamond tie tags

Thu Sep 7 22:42:23 EDT 2017

Some time ago, I found a set of brass oval tags with numerals stamped in each one in increments of 1/4 inches. It was explained to me that it marked the super elevation of a curve.
Jeff Sanders

 Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:53 PM
 Subject: Re: diamond tie tags

I should have said that it has to do with how the elevation of the outside rail progresses into and out of the spiral to the curve.Jimmy Lisle

Was walking the Peavine the other day and noticed some diamond-shaped tags on some of the ties (photos attached).  I saw one "series" starting at 0 and going up by increments of 1/2 ending at 3 1/2.The tags were placed on every 20th tie such that a 1/2 tag was on the 20th tie after the 0 tag and a 1 tag twenty ties later, etc. up to 3 1/2.  I'm wondering at the purpose of "permanently" marking a series of groups of twenty ties.Anybody any knowledge or speculation on the purpose of these tags?Thanks,Jim Cochran

Moderator: