N&W photos

Mon Sep 11 19:27:07 EDT 2017

Thanks to all for your location advice.  I've distilled the postings into two captions.

Clinch Valley local, train #5 in Bluefield, VA (Graham). The catenary actually extended a short distance down the Clinch Valley branch.  The old Graham High School building on the hillside.  The east end of the first siding on the Clinch Valley line with Greever Avenue in the background.  The first siding on the Clinch Valley was Furnace.  It was particularly significant to Clinch Valley crews.  Train orders for the Clinch Valley were delivered at "HQ."   In the era before traffic control, crews had 9/10ths of a mile to scan train orders for over-dues and for meets slated for Furnace.  Translating slow orders was put on hold until it was determined what would happen at the east switch at Furnace.

Petersburg, looking East.  The photo was taken after May 1952 because the old ACL BG Tower is not in the photograph. The tower stood at the switch stand that can be seen on the right of the east bound mainline beyond the water column.

Composite of answers provided by:
Harry Bundy
Jim Nichols
Dave Phelps
Alex Schust
Joe Shaw
Herman Wilkins

Good afternoon,

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com
(571) 379-3409 - daytime cell
In the 1913 former N&W Railway depot along Clarke County route 723
117 East Main Street
Boyce, VA 22620-9369  USA

Please note: only parcels sent via USPS can be accepted at this address.

Visit at http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org or
http://www.facebook.com/RailwayMailServiceLibrary

http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/articles/RMSL2008.DOC
http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/RMSL2009.DOC