Groseclose Wreck in Early 1920s

Sun Sep 24 16:37:15 EDT 2017

I no longer have the picture of the wreck in my email files, but from
what I think I remember of the picture the locomotive in the foreground
has an air pump mounted over what appears to be a high-pressure
cylinder.  Close inspection of the rather indistinct near portion of the
wreck seems to show a larger low-pressure cylinder.  So, maybe this is
the 1918 wreck of Z1a 1461.

Gordon Hamilton

On 9/23/2017 3:23 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Abe
>
> If you tell me the date could have Oct. 20, 1920 and it was a head end
> collision and the railroad location was Rural Retreat I may have the
> answer.
>
> There was a Head-end collision passenger trains (17?)  with # 558 and
> 14 with # 102 near Rural Retreat.  You will note there was another
> head end wreck near this location in 1918 with the 102 and a big one,
> Z1a 1461.
>
> Both the 558 and 102 were rebuilt.
>
> J. Blackstock
>
>> Before some weenie waves his hand and screams,  "Gottscha ! ," and
>> tells me that No. 18 was not the Memphis Special, let me publicly
>> acknowledge my own failure and inadequacy in this respect.   I repent
>> of my error and I recant my grievous error.
>>
>> In the future I shall do better, think harder and longer, make no
>> more mistakes.
>>
>> Parce mihi peccata mea.
>>
>> -- abram burnett

---