Follow-up: CV catenary/Graham wye

Sun Oct 29 19:24:14 EDT 2017

This discussion continued with John and Bruce, with Jim, and with an
engineer (h. 1940) who ran the electrics or "motors". About turning
electrics, he gave Jim's answer and was unaware of turning for any
maintenance issues or for any other reason. About the Graham wye, there
was no wye when he hired and had no recollection of one prior to hiring.
He remembered the wire on the CV, but never saw it used. It could have
been used for helpers, but steam pushers were used.

The photo Joe cites from the Archives, Bruce cited from "Clinch
Valley--Norfolk & Western District Line" (Alex Schust and Mason Cooper,
NWHS) as dated 1950 that put catenary over the CV main (only) and a 1938
track plan that shows only vestiges of the wye. So the CV catenary
stayed up until the end of electrification, long after it could have
been taken out along with the wye. Another plan in Alex and Mason's book
shows that the wye track had become an industrial track by 1912, so the
wye track was then cleared of car spots and electrified before being
taken up (?).

Grant Carpenter