regional nomenclature question

Thu Nov 2 08:49:13 EDT 2017

I tend to hear “Western Virginia” and also “Blue Ridge Region.”

    Ray Smoot

Okay, we know that we have Northern Virginia from the DC 'burbs south to somewhere; then over towards Norfolk is the Tidewater region, then as you get closer to Richmond it becomes "South Side" which extends at least as far as Lynchburg and Danville. Bristol is of course Southwestern Virginia, so what is the Roanoke region best called ? Southern Virginia? Central Virginia? What?

I know that you get 70 miles or so west of Roanoke to the Radford area, and you go a bit north from there and get to the New River Valley, so what is that in between region commonly referred to?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Bob