Railway Post Office presentation at the 2018 convention

Thu Dec 14 01:02:48 EST 2017

Good evening, all:

The recent discussions about Class M1 Railway Post Office (RPO) car doors has been interesting.  My understanding is that the car doors were the same color as the car body.

RPO discussions will be a part of the 2018 N&WHS convention from two --and maybe three-- perspectives.  First, there will be an overview of Virginian Railway Post Office history.  A 1956 film, MEN AND MAIL IN TRANSIT, will be shown that illustrates a typical Railway Mail Clerk's workday.  Second, the RPO used on the Celebrate the Century Express during 1999 and 2000 will be open in the roundhouse.  I'll be in the car to explain fixtures and activities performed.

The third opportunity may be to demonstrate a non-stop mail "catch" and dispatch.  The NCTM might update the brake valves on SOU 49 so that it can be included in the passenger train that travels around the Spencer shops facility.  The thought is that attendees can experience standing in the RPO and getting the inside view of a mail catch and dispatch, then during a different trip they can photograph the exchange near the trackside mail crane.

Best wishes for the holiday season,

Frank