Barytes, East of Bristol

Thu Dec 14 10:52:43 EST 2017

To confirm what Ed relates, there is a Barytes Dr in Bristol and evidence
of a quarry like excavation off Old Abingdon Hwy across from the ex-Ball
Mfg plant (which is
the location of the c.p. Bristol). Streets image attached.

Mike Pierry, Jr.

Moderator:

wrote:

> I always heard it was Bear-uh-teez, pronunciation of the mineral
> notwithstanding.  I always thought it was the end of the siding, a mile or
> so east of the roundhouse.
>
> EdKing

Granted, we Trainmen were not the sharpest tacks in the box (... as we were
so often told ! )

Several miles east of Bristol had been a siding named Barytes.  It never
made the Station Pages of the Time Table, but it does get mentioned in the
Special Instructions and it is shown in the Official List of Stations, &c.
In my time there (1960s,) it was only a name associated with a general area
-- the siding was long gone.

I have a question about the pronunciation of the name.

The men ahead of me on the roster, from whom I learned the name, pronounced
it  BEAR-teeze.  But since the place was named for the mineral once mined
there, the proper pronunciation should be the same as the pronunciation of
the mineral,  BEAR-rights.

Does anyone know how the local population handles the pronunciation of the
name and, more importantly, how the railroaders of, say, the first quarter
of the 20th Century pronounced the name?

(Yes, I should have asked Jasper Wilkerson, a 1917 hire, and Tom Kegley, a
1906 hire... but I didn't.)

-- abram burnett