Narrows Branch Question - Terminal Facilities at Narrows

Tue Jan 2 20:13:40 EST 2018

In 2009 I had occasion to interview a retired Radford Division Engineer who started as a fireman in 1941.  He told me about firing several trips on the Narrows Branch.  The engines were Class G (which he reported to be hard to fire) and the trips were out of Radford.  He also stated that they turned the engine on an “armstrong” turntable at Narrows going on and coming off of the branch.  Unfortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to have him point out exactly where the turntable was located.

I have talked to a few people over the years that remember the branch being in service but none who knew any of the details about the operation other than this gentleman.

W.E. Honeycutt