Falt Top Tunnel Fire

Thu Jan 11 10:13:26 EST 2018

Jim,

These are the articles I found: The Times (Richmond, VA) Sat, 4 Feb 1893, p.1; The Roanoke Times (Roanoke, VA) Sat, 4 Feb 1893, p.5; Richmond Dispatch (Richmond, VA) Sat, 4 Feb 1893, p.1; The Times (Richmond, VA) Sun, 5 Feb 1893, p.2; The Cincinnati Enquirer (Cincinnati, OH) Sat, 4 Feb 1893, p.1; The News (Frederick, MD) Sat, 4 Feb 1893, p.1.

A couple of the articles are word-for-word the same.  One article refers to Mr. A. P. Miller as the division superintendent. I thought he was the assistant "something or other" but not the superintendent. In 1889 he was one of four supervisors along with Sowers, Stanley and Maxon. In 1890 he is one of six Division Engineers along with Bonner, Fuller Bruner, Mitchell and Moffett. And in July of 1893 (five months after the tunnel fire) I found an incomplete reference to his resignation with the implication that he was replaced by M. J. Caples as assistant engineer. I was assuming that at the time of incident Miller was the assistant engineer for the Elkhorn division. My great-grandfather said he was out on the Columbus end of the line with the general superintendent when they got word of the fire and they went directly to the fire. Could Miller have been the general superintendent?

Peter