Edmond duBarry

Wed Jan 17 11:23:41 EST 2018

Abe:

Unless I have the wrong Edmond DuBarry, he was also the inaugural
superintendent of the Baltimore & Potomac and Alexandria & Fredericksburg
RRs when they marched thru Washington, Dc in 1872. I have that name as the
super the nights the Pennsy removed the B&O thru rails between their DC
station and its connection to the south with its controlled subsidiary, the
Orange, Alexandria & Manassas RR.

Contact me via direct and we can explore this matter further. The basics
are he was the super of the B&P and A&F in at least October-November 1872.
I have it from a primary source. I have no bio information on him. If this
was the same person you have along the Norfolk Division of the N&W, he
would have been just 32 years of age when the DC fiascos were going on. I
also have read there was a duBarry as superintendent or something of the
sort on the Northern Central RR and figured that there was some family
relationship.

You might try Chris Baer up at Hagley for more info.

Bob Cohen

What is known of "Major" Edmund L. DuBarry, Superintendent of the Norfolk
Division and then of the Eastern [General] Division in the 1890s?

There was a long line of DuBarrys, surgeons, naval officers, one General,
and several railroaders (one of whom was a Vice President of the PRR,) who
seem to have been congregated around Philadelphia and Trenton, NJ,
stretching back to the late 18th Century.

Unfortunately, Edumud never responded to the annual queries for bios for
inclusion in the Biographical Directory of Railway Officials of America.?
We know he was aboard No. 2 the night of the big wreck at Thaxton in 1889.
And he appears in the Poor's Manuals. Finally, the Alexandria Gazette of
December 5, 1908, indicates he had died at his home in Norfolk the previous
day at age 68, "was once with the Pennsylvania Railroad," and "had been a
railroad man for 50 years."  This indicates he was born about 1840.

Is there anything more comprehensive on Major DuBarry, perhaps an obtiuary?

-- abram burnett