VGN EL-C Engines on the New Haven

Tue Jan 23 17:57:25 EST 2018

Abram:

Excellent article!

I was working the three-month field assignment portion of my
right-out-of-college trainee assignments for GE out of the New York Office
the summer of 1963, and the New Haven paid GE to send a service engineer to
New Haven to look the units over and make recommendations as to what
"fix-ups" they might need.  He asked me if I'd like to come along, and of
course I said "yes indeed!"  As the article says, they were in pretty good
shape considering.  The NH folks were impressed with the locomotives, and
commented favorably that "GE had learned a lot since the EP-5s."  The
article outlines some the problems those locos had, mostly from "t0 pounds
in a 5 pound bag" issues.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave Phelps