Norfolk Southern moving to a Centralized Train Dispatching Center

Mon Jan 29 16:08:37 EST 2018

Bruce,

Having a daughter and a son-in-law who are both MBA's, and are very smart,
and who make more money than I ever did, I have to respond.

You are absolutely right, and the kids will agree with me.  A manager who
is brought in from outside, however smart, well educated and well
intentioned, who starts making changes without learning the job
fundamentals, is courting disaster.  And it's not just in railroading, but
men and women I've talked to in other fields (and even in my own field, the
Federal Government, believe it or not)have had problems with managers who
are experts in "managing" but don't understand that the "book" doesn't
cover all the little idiosyncrasies encountered on a railroad, a GM
assembly line, a steel mill, or a bureaucracy.  Get a bright manager who
learns the job before "fixing" things, and you've got a find.

The other thing that outsiders brought in tend to do is make change for the
sake of change, and they don't learn the history.  Therefore you get what
we call "reinventing the wheel": e.g. Centralizing dispatching, a few years
later decentralizing dispatching, a few years later centralizing
dispatching.

Let's see what discussion we're having in 3-5 years on this subject.  Here
endeth the pontification.

Frank Bongiovanni