3 pics at switchback

Tue Feb 6 13:56:44 EST 2018

I believe that one was in trouble. I could usually make a Dash-8 do that on demand, but, if this one was on a steady pull, it was in trouble.

In the months before Amtrak began, there were practice runs Lynchburg to Roanoke
and return.  One morning the westbound had an ancient 4-axle engine with flames
coming out the stack.  I notified the Chief Dispatcher (thank goodness I had his number
because there are few NS numbers in the phone book).  Returning to Lynchburg,
an NS engine was in the lead and the smoking Amtrak unit followed dead-in-tow.
                                                                   Harry Bundy