Locomotive Cab Rides

Sat Apr 7 12:40:50 EDT 2018

Roger,

That is a great account of your loco cab riding, and it makes me
envious.  In today's environment it is hard to believe that you were
permitted to switch passenger trains in the Roanoke station. I am
particularly envious of your rides in the cabs of GG1s because I rode
behind them numerous times during the almost two years that I was
stationed at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, on the New York and Long Branch RR.  The
PRR trains that I rode were pulled by GG1s between South Amboy and Penn
Station, NYC, and also between NYC and Washington, DC, but I never
thought to ask for a cab ride.  I could kick myself!

Most of my cab rides before I went to work full time for the N&W were
the result either of a written request to the railroad involved for a
cab ride or a railfan trip.  After I went to work for the N&W full-time
I had an annual pass stamped "Good on engines and freight trains."  I
could kick myself again for not taking more advantage of this privilege,
but those were my single days and I had other things to do with my spare
time.

Gordon Hamilton

---