Pullman Service to New York via N&W

Tue May 29 16:49:15 EDT 2018

Thank you for the information on N & W Pullman service to New York. My Grandfather was a retired Conductor living in Crewe, and would come to New York on a Pullman. The train would arrive about 5 am in the morning and I have often wondered how the trip was made. Alan Cox

At our recent convention in Spencer a member asked me what N&W trains/routes were used to provide Pullman service to New York.

I consulted an April 1952 copy of Official Guide of the Railways.  Per this resource there were three N&W trains that  provided daily through Pullman service to New York.

Trains No.1/2, referred to as the Shenandoah Valley Route, provided through Pullman service between Roanoke and New York. Additionally, there was through coach service between Roanoke and Harrisburg.  The sleeper and through coach would be routed at Hagerstown via the Pennsylvania Railroad.  In April 1952 the Pullman was 10-6 or 10-1-1 per the Guide. Routing to New York on PRR was Hagerstown, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Trenton, Newark and New York.

Trains 15/16, the Cavalier, provided through Pullman service between Williamson and New York; this car was a 10/6; this car would be handled by ACL to Richmond, VA, then RF&P to Washington, DC where it would then be turned over the PRR

Trains 21/22, the Cannon Ball, provided through Pullman service between Norfolk and New York, again using a 10/6 car; routed to ACL at Petersburg, RF&P at Richmond and PRR at Washington, DC
;
The above reflects what was happening in early 1952; I do not know for how long these routings had been in effect, nor how long they continued.  I would imagine these routes were fairly consistent subject to time changes; there were probably additional sleepers added during peak travel times.

My understanding is the three County Cars, as well as the Budd built sleepers, were used in the Pullman service between New York and Roanoke, Williamson and Norfolk; PRR would be supplying sleepers as well.

Although the County Cars were originally to be assigned to the Shenandoah Valley route, there is photographic evidence that Budd built "Scioto County" was used on this route as well.

Although I'm certain the consists were expected to include certain equipment, there is always the chance that other equipment was substituted or added depending on circumstances.

Perhaps others have information to correct/supplement what I have put forth here.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD