Bridge 322

Wed Jun 20 11:02:17 EDT 2018

As a proud member of the "RR Degenerates" earlier spoken of, I say thanks to Messrs. Burnett and Bundy for their observations.
I'd always wondered about that stone pier jutting out of the wing wall, and a line relo makes sense.I recently ordered a late 1800's drawing of the bridge from the Archives and, while not at hand at the moment, if memory serves, there was some rebuilding of the span at that time. Comparing OWL's classic photo with modern shots, for example, the concrete cap atop the arch has been enlarged over time.Somewhere in my stash, or perhaps on an old Zip drive even, are some photos that Ben Blevins long ago sent me, but it'd take a month of Sundays to unearth them. One other shot I have a photocopy of at hand showing the other end of the bridge does support Abram's theory, as the west end abutments of the bridge look like they were raised considerably in height and reinforced with a big concrete pier set into the older stone.Any other insights welcomed.Thanks all,

Andre JacksonSent from Yahoo Mail for iPad