2019 Convention

Sun Jun 24 14:40:46 EDT 2018

Todd is correct. No matter when you schedule it, it is not going to work for some element of the membership. We decided last year to hold the conventions in May so we would have consistency so people could plan ahead year to year, knowing the convention was going to be in May.

This year it fell well into later May, the third weekend.

In 2019 we are in Roanoke. Roanoke has a lot going on in the month of May. It is difficult for us to find suitable hotel space. First, we approached Hotel Roanoke as it was the premier place in town and with its railroad connection the natural expectation.

For hotels, any convention is all about room rentals and food service. The higher the number of rooms you take the more money you put in their pocket and the more interested they are in your group.

Our group is small, always less than 100 rooms. When we told the Hotel Roanoke that, they turned up their nose and stated “we have wedding parties larger than that.” Basically they said “take a hike son, we’ve got bigger groups waiting, we don’t need you.” They did not care if this group had anything to do with the railroad or not. We simply are not big enough to have the entire place, so, see you later.

We went to another hotel, they were happy to have us, but did not have space to take us the third weekend, some other event in town. But they offered the 2nd weekend. We did not realize at the moment it was Mother’s Day weekend. Having had experience with railfan events, I can tell you Mother’s Day weekend was like the kiss of death. Memorial Day weekend would be much the same, sadly.

So we backed off a weekend, and that is why we are on the first weekend.

We fell into Strasburg in July last year because we waited on an event that did not happen, it was late, we had success, but it can be miserably hot. So, if the membership who comes or will come to these events can reach a consensus, we’ll be glad to attempt to schedule to suit.

Best
Ken Miller