a question about drawings in our archives

Tue Aug 7 11:06:29 EDT 2018

Brent,

I would venture to say the N&W Mechanical Department was active in
designing equipment based upon the current and expected needs of the
railway; as such they may very well have created drawings for equipment
that was not produced; for example, see the entries in the NWHS Archives
for the Class BR boxcar:

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=2881

The general arrangement drawing clearly indicates these cars were "not
built."  I don't know why they weren't built except that N&W decided it had
other cars that could fill its needs.

My answer to your question would be not to build a car you don't have a
photo of, or other verifiable documentation that it was in service.

My two cents; YMMV

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD