Two Rod and Valve Gear Questions

Wed Aug 8 09:07:02 EDT 2018

On 8/7/2018 5:13 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:
> They were certainly interesting to watch running. So odd seeing ll
> that firebox just hanging out in the breeze. Not being an expert in
> anything I would say the engine with thee water bunker would have to
> lose a lot of traction as the tank was emptied. The tender with the
> fuel bunker would suffer the same fate. Those could be  rather bad
> features. Conventional articulateds wouldn't summer that problem
> except the Triplex and VGN engine which were not very efficient for
> other reasons.

(snip)

Since the boiler weight is suspended between the two engines, would it
not still have just about as much traction as a standard articulated?
Also the tender shell weight is also still on the engines rather than
being drug behind. Granted full tanks and bunkers would give the best
results and, since they are usually full when starting a train, I can
see where that would be an advantage.

Wonder if any American loco builders or individual roads did any
research or comparisons between Garretts and our standard articulated
locos ??

While not exactly pure N&W stuff, it is an interesting discussion.

  Take care
Bill

--
==  Scale Model Railroad Products  ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill & Diane Wade

B.T.S.
1782 Trinity Rd
Belington, WV  26250-7621

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.