Two Rod and Valve Gear Questions

Thu Aug 9 07:05:49 EDT 2018

Good morning,

Absolutely right  re the adhesion issue. The long steam passages could of course be insulated to prevent heat loss. I think one large Garrett was built for use in Russia as a one off. I have no idea as to what became of it or how successful or otherwise it was. There was also a gigantic 4-14-4 which must have put pressure on track curves.

UK applications were limited to some rather indifferent 2-6-0+0-6-2 types and a one off that was used to push loaded coal trains (unbraked two axle wagons!!) up a steep gradient. I t was converted to oil firing and used as a pusher on the Lickey Incline for a short period before being withdrawn from service. The recent small invasion of ex SA narrow gauge locos has raised a lot of interest

The notion of going for some enormous Triples concept was probably pushing the boundaries of technical feasibility. The implied maintenance costs must have been horrific.

Regards

Phil Mortimer