Pusher vs. helper

Fri Aug 10 14:21:25 EDT 2018

Sorry for any confusion and I'll attempt to clarify/correct/elaborate on
my previous reply with my usual disclaimers (generally speaking, as far
as I know, based on various sources, etc.). So may I suggest:

Pushers pushed and helpers pulled.

Both are locomotives added to assist on grades, just at different ends
of the train and with different conditions and restrictions. Both had
only two enginemen for a crew and both crews were in the same pool
(Eckman and Bluefield, anyway), as opposed to enginemen on the train crew.

Trainmen used the term "helper" liberally and other employees
(trainmasters, yardmasters, operators, etc.) had to make this
distinction for operational and safety reasons. It appears in the
Pocahontas Division timetable, but only until regular helper service
ended with the opening of the new Elkhorn Tunnel in 1950.

As for operations east of Roanoke, I do not know specifics as to how
this term may or may not apply (okay, I tend to be Pokeycentric in my
replies). I have never heard the term "helper" in this case, only
"double-header", but I have never asked employees who worked east of
Roanoke at that time. "Double-headed" gets a lot of mention in
timetables for restrictions on the pairing and order of locomotives.

I think, as far as I know, one pusher, a 2100 with a two-man crew, got
on behind the cab at Boaz, cut off at Blue Ridge and ran light back to
Boaz. Before leaving Roanoke, a second 2100 with a two-man crew, got on
ahead of a 1200 and a "road" crew, helped up Blue Ridge and Bray's Hill,
stopped at Phoebe, cut off, turned and returned light or helped (on the
head end?) a westbound back to Roanoke.

I assume/guess the Boaz crew was on duty for a shift and the road crew
continued on to Crewe for a day's pay and rest. If the round trip to
Phoebe was short enough, that crew may have been on shift and working in
the same pool as the Boaz crew?

Anyway, I would humbly submit to this esteemed List that the head end
2100 was a helper--perhaps The Phoebe Helper?

Grant Carpenter