Whale oil delivery to Marion, VA

Tue Aug 21 22:48:50 EDT 2018

A post on a steam era freight car list this week gave this interesting inquiry:

"Reading some Dispatcher notes from Southern Railway dated 5/23/32. it reads "No. 65 picked up Pacific Whaling Car 601 from Elizabethton to Bristol in route to Marion, Virginia.  Anyone have a photo of a Pacific Whaling car?  Or know more about this?"

Subsequent discussions suggest that this was a tank car of whale oil. Any thoughts from our group on this subject? Shipment information, who in Marion might have use for a tank car load of whale oil, etc?

I am originally from Marion, so this is an exotic and interesting item to me.

Brent