Water stops

Mon Oct 29 17:58:05 EDT 2018

Don't know about freight trains; but passenger trains at Bluefield station stopped accurately enough that water could be taken without uncoupling. I did see a Virginian train detouring through Bluefield (wreck on Vgn.) take water. They did uncouple, but that was because the Virginian tender did not allow the downspout to pivot without striking the coal bunker. So the locomotive uncoupled and ran a little ahead, they rotated the downspout, the locomotive backed up and they lowered the downspout. I also have a vague memory that the water plug at Richlands was spaced so that two locos coupled together could take water at the same time.
Jim Nichols

 During steam operations when a locomotive was going to take water on the road, was it the usual practice to uncouple the locomotive from the rest of the consist in order to position the locomotive at the water plug?
Also, approximately how long would it take to top off the water in a tender? I understand the answer is variable given the capacity of any given tender and how much water was required to fill it up.
I'd like to incorporate this type of prototype operation in my model railroad operating scheme.
Thanks.