Water stops

Tue Oct 30 23:08:44 EDT 2018

On 10/30/2018 5:49 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Remember, after coming to a complete stop, the brakeman would have to
> turn the valve (? terminology) on the car immediately behind the
> locomotive to keep air in the line;
*Jim,
     Bottling the air like that is a very good way to have a runaway
train. That is why it is against the rules. You leave the "anglecock"
open on the cars and close the one on the engine!*
> then the locomotive would uncouple from the train and move into place
> at the water plug.  The brakeman would have to climb up on the tender
> and open the water fill hatch; then position the water spout over the
> tender.
*It might be that the brakeman wouldn't mind helping out with taking on
water, however, I do believe that is the Fireman's job.

Jimmy Lisle
*