Columbus- Bellevue Abingdon Update

Sun Nov 4 05:57:49 EST 2018

Just after the merger, I recall walking one Friday evening toward I-71
to hitch hike to Cleveland after classes ended at OSU. Saw an N&W
non-coal train headed toward BE at a walk, so I got on the engine and
told the crew I was on the Bellevue-Conneaut division roster. That
satisfied the crew and I went to the second unit, figuring we would be
at Bellevue in 3 or 4 hours. Well, 13 hours later we were finally in the
yard, having moved at a blistering 7 mph average.  That meant I would
not arrive home in the wee hours. When we finally stopped at the east
end of the yard, I got off, saw an engine crew I knew and boarded with
them on what they called #50, even though the N&W had given it some new
designation. We were under way in 14 minutes and the crew slowed to a
walk 52 miles and one hour later later to drop me off at the end of the
street I where I grew up in Bay Village. I walked down the street, got
the Plain Dealer off the porch, and walked inside in time for breakfast.
Took some years, but N&W finally found some merit in the old "Speed Your
Freight, Ship Nickel Plate" motto.

     WJPowers

On 11/2/2018 5:27 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> No, it was not - it was Pennsy from Columbus to Sandusky (trivia: the interlocking where this line crossed the PRR Pittsburgh to Chicago main line was called COLSAN as it’s where the main crossed the COLumbus to SANdusky line). But it was part of the Scioto Division (Williamson to Columbus and Cincinnati) and Eastern Region (all the original N&W and VGN lines and no ex-Nickel Plate or Wabash) so to the extent that the N&W,  NKP, and Wabash still lived on culturally, it was more N&W than anything else (but still on PRR contracts).
>
> At the time N&W took purchased it from PRR, it was under PRR’s Manual Block System (which as I understand it, was different from most railroad manual block rules). N&W added CTC sometime after the purchase in 1964. At my time there (1980-81), Columbus to Bellevue was controlled by a Scioto Division dispatcher in Portsmouth but Bellevue to Sandusky was a sub-panel in Bellevue Tower. The physical tower was closed in 1980 or 81 and the functions moved to a yardmaster’s tower within Bellevue Yard.
>
> More trivia: Bellevue Tower had the job of giving clearance cards and orders to Scioto Division train heading to Columbus. When the tower closed, trains originating Bellevue got them from the yard office in Bellevue. But for trains originating Sandusky picking up their power in Sandusky, that wasn’t possible. Since Sandusky didn’t have an operator, the N&W tried faxing the clearance card and orders (on 6 minutes per page early fax machines!) since they decided that method did not require an operator since no read back to the Dispatcher was needed. It being 37 years ago, I’m sure any grievances over whether that was contract-legal have long been settled.
>
> Still more trivia: Bellevue Tower dates back to when the Nickel Plate and PRR were totally separate and there was no reason a train coming from Columbus would head into Bellevue yard or v.v. So even in 1981, moves between the NKP and the PRR former lines could never get better than Restricting since the tower had never been wired to pass block status from one railroad to the other.

> [...]

---