6 wheel trucks

Mon Nov 26 12:07:10 EST 2018

 Ed,Virginian drawings show 1000 H-15, 55-T hoppers built by Bethlehem Steel from Mar. thru June 1953, numbers 26000-26999.Then, from May thru Oct 1956 Virginian built at Princeton, 500 total hoppers, H-15a nos. 27000-27299 and H-15b nos. 27300-27499.I know the H-14, 70-T hoppers were built in Princeton, but for some reason I do not have that drawing.Since I do not have the H-14 drawing I can't prove it, but something tells me, and I don't know why, that the H-14 hoppers were actually built after the the H-15a&b hoppers. That would explain the left over material for more H-14s after the merger.Your thoughts?

Jeff Sanders

 Jeff -  The Virginian cars were 70-ton hoppers classed H-14.  At the time of the merger, material was on hand at Princeton to build 500 more cars; they were N&W class H-34.  At least, this was the story at the time. Ed King From: NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:08 PMTo: NW Mailing List Cc: NW Mailing List Subject: Re: 6 wheel trucks Interesting that the Class was H-15. The Virginian had just built class H-15 hoppers in Princeton in the late '50s. In fact, I believe the N&W continued to build cars in Princeton after the merger, under the new N&W numbers and class. N&W wasted no time in reclassifying Vgn equipment to fit its system. I'm betting all that was probably settled before merger day.
 Jeff Sanders
 On Saturday, November 24, 2018, 6:47:46 PM EST, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:   I only missed the class by two . . .

EdKing