N&W boxcars without doors

Tue Nov 27 07:19:00 EST 2018

On 11/26/2018 7:26 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Can anyone from this group identify specific cars that were used in such service? Were other classes used this way prior to the B8's (with doors removed)? Does anyone have some photo they could share?

No, but, I can attest to the fact that they were used. Plenty of the box
cars without doors were shipped out of the limestone plants at Buchanan,
Va. And, plenty of limestone was lost, blown out of the car by the wind
turbulence created rolling down the road. On late afternoons one could
witness the oncoming cloud of dust on the "Buch Shifter" descending into
"Ball's Hole" between Pico Crossing and Lithia!

Jimmy Lisle