Clean out tracks

Tue Dec 4 18:12:15 EST 2018

 I assume these cards were ones used for the grading of cars what you mentioned?
See attached.The two N&W are showing both sides of one card. I think I have an N&W marked more like the Vgn cards, but can't find it.
Jeff S.

Ken

Perhaps I should change this follow up to rats.

One weekend I was working at Shaffers hump and heard quite a number of gun shots.  I told one of the guys I was working with about this matter.  He said that it was nothing to worry about.  Some of the guys that worked at the terminal liked to shoot rats with their 22 rifles at the clean out hole when no employees were working.

Also, I seem to remember a couple of tracks used exclusively to clean cover hopper cars. Now that has been over 50 years ago.  There were many box cars at all times at the clean out.  When they left they were graded according to their quality for future shipments.  Seems like the grades were A1 the best followed by A, B, C with perhaps more sub grades like 1, 2, 3. Guess the guys at the clean out were car dept. employees. Ed King would know for sure.

Jim