An L&D Question - Clarkton

Wed Dec 12 17:05:55 EST 2018

Abram,

I apologize for the delay in researching and replying.  I checked
Norfolk Division ETT No. 33 eff. Nov. 14, 1915, in the Archives and
found nothing pertinent under Special Instructions for the Lynchburg and
Durham line, but did find the attached reference to clearance cards and
train orders under Local.  Also the Durham line table in that ETT gave
the schedules of first, second, third and fourth class trains.  Would
the preceding be compatible with the Clarkton Train Order semaphore?

Gordon Hamilton

On 10/23/2018 1:58 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Attached is a low res screenshot of an N&W Valuation photo, depicting
> Clarkton on the Lynchburg & Durham.
>

> The semaphore caught my eye.  It is a Train Order semaphore (as
> indicated by the scallop on the end of the semaphore arm.)
>

> This makes me ask:  Was the Durham Division operated under the
> Timetable / Train Order method of operation ONLY, without the use of
> Manual Block Rules ?
>

> If the L&D was operated with Manual Block Rules, one would expect to
> see one of two things on this signal mast:  Either (1) a second arm,
> having a square end, for the Block Signal, or (2) a single arm signal
> with a square end, serving as both the Train Order Signal and the
> Block Signal.
>

> Unfortunately, the 1896 "Statement of Block Signals in Use on the
> Road, September 1896" does not cover the L&D.
>

> Someone with a Norfolk Division Time Table from the era of the
> Valuation Photos (say 1915-1920) should be able to determine from the
> Special Instructions just how the L&D was operated.
>

> Any takers...?
>

> -- abram burnett

---