Supplemental Air

Wed Dec 19 14:08:25 EST 2018

Depends on the location.  The WB departure yard at Portsmouth was virtually level, as was the one at Williamson.  Use of yard air at Portsmouth along with the testing devices allowed them to call a 210-car westbound train every hour.  A WB would triple three 70-car tracks together that had been pre-tested; he’d make what was called a continuity test – a set and release to make sure the brakes worked on the rear end – and leave.  The engines for the next would be down at the west end ready to get on their train.

When I was there in the early 1960s, a 210-car Columbus train would get three GP30-35s,  They’d scratch over the top at Kingston about 11 MPH.  When they started getting SD35s, I rode a test train of 267 loads out of Portsmouth.  The SDs scratched over the top at 11 MPH.  But they kept to the 210-car trains as the usual.

EdKing