Roanoke Red Sulphur Spring

Sun Dec 23 10:21:18 EST 2018

On my quest for early railroad articles of the SW VA area, I happen upon a
bit of Roanoke Red Sulphur news as I scour the Roanoke newspapers of that
period. The Virginia Room at the main public library is an invaluable tool,
since many of these papers are not online anywhere. From the Roanoke Times
(actually printed in Salem) of November 25, 1875, the headlline reads
"Roanoke Red Sul.Springs! In New Hands!" The article describes a change of
ownership, new repairs, etc. "Persons visiting this watering place by
railroad get off (by now, this refers to the AM&O) at Salem, Roanoke
County, Va., where conveyances will meet them to take them to the springs -
10 miles distant."

In another paragraph, "The water contains Bicarbonate of Lithia, Soda
Magnesia, and Iron. Also the Hyposulphite Soda, and many of the valuable
Salts and Ammonia and Potash." "Parties destined for the spring upon
arrival will inquire for JNO O. KIZER, agent of the Company. Parties
desirous of seeing analysis of water will call upon Dr. Wiley. Resident
Physicians, Drs. R. F. Berkeley, and J. W. Bruffey."

Stephen Warren, Roanoke