Tonnage Ratings and Weather Reductions for Locomotives

Wed Dec 26 20:55:31 EST 2018

This first-hand account is informative with a humorous element as well. Railroading ultimately comes down to people and their personalities. And that’s good.

“Cold Trains Move Hard”

“Trains move easier in warm weather than they do when it is cold. This is probably because oil has a tendency to thicken up when it gets cold. Some paraffin based oils of cheaper grades will get as thick as Vaseline when it is thirty degrees below zero. A one hundred-car train would have eight hundred bearings, and a little difference in a bearing’s friction would make a big difference in the way a train moved. In Crestline [OH] we never needed help getting eastbound trains out of the yards, but once during a prolonged cold spell of sub-zero weather they had to use pusher engines.

I was firing for engineman Leo Zink, and we had an eastbound freight train of one hundred cars and 10,000 tons gross weight to go to Conway, Pennsylvania. Our engine was a new Q2, four cylinder 4-4-6-4. It could handle the train but would need pusher engines on the grades. Leo made four tries at starting the train but was unable to get it moving. The Q2 locomotive wanted to move the train, and the train wanted to stay put, and we began to wonder which one would have its way. We took slack for our fifth try. This time we activated our booster engine on the trailing wheels under the cab, which increased our tractive force to 115,800 pounds. We moved slowly forward, and when all the slack was taken up, we moved a foot or so. The train quivered, and at this point you can feel the stretch in a train. I was sitting on the edge of the fireman’s seat and discovered that I was hunching like a kid does when he’s trying to start his wagon down a hill. I laughed at myself for my action.  Then  I looked at the engineman, and he was hunching the same way I was. We both had a good laugh. Who knows, maybe it was our hunching that got our ten thousand-ton train started on its eastward journey.”

Paul C. Dietz, Fireman PRR 1943-1947

>From a terrific read . . . Firing on the Pennsy. Gateway Press, Inc. 2001

John Garner, Newport VA