Broken loco driver spokes

Mon Jan 28 09:33:02 EST 2019

Good afternoon from the other side of the pond.

The move away from spoked wheels in North America in the  1930s was an interesting development including the BoxPok and Scullin drivers. There may  have been some underlying concerns about the continuing use of spoked driving wheels.  I don't recall any reports of driving wheel spoke failures here.

The Merchant Navy and West Country/Battle of Britain Pacific types were built with a patented (BFB)  design of solid driving wheels. Later steam locos built until 1960 retained spokes for driving and carrying wheels. Ironically some water and coal tenders had solid wheels including the A4 Pacifics.

Phil Mortimer