Rorer Iron/Narrow Gauge RR Crossing at Roanoke Alms House

Mon Jan 28 10:24:29 EST 2019

Stephen

You are right on the money.  That would mean the ore would move from the
washer in Wasena back over the NG to the transfer site south of Alms
House. From that point it would be loaded on N&W for movement to
destination.

I am not sure when the Belt Line was built.  It did show up in the 1897
Annual Report.  The R&S was completed to Roanoke in 1892.  I think we
would have to assume the Junction with the R&S was established before
the Belt Line was built.

 From a cost stand point it would have been desirable to use the Belt
Line.  They could have loaded ore at Wasena on a N&W siding and
eliminated the transfer point and cost associated with movement to the
Rorer Siding on the R&S.  Any indication they ever connected with the
Belt Line?  I have not found anything to indicate the Belt Line was ever
used.

Jim