1218 Feedwater

Wed Feb 27 15:07:08 EST 2019

When I was doing shift work at the Shaffers Crossing roundhouse the
summer of 1956 and got off the third shift one morning, I learned that
the 2300 had been called for a Blue Ridge pusher, so I took advantage of
this opportunity and my pass which had the inscription "good on engines
and freight trains," and hopped aboard.  My rest could wait!  As we
pushed a freight train up the Blue Ridge grade the main water pump went
out and the emergency pump had to be placed in service.  After that one
push, we returned to the roundhouse for repairs.  A not-too-unusual
routine for Big Jawn.

I also remember another occasion when the loco was on the roundhouse
turntable and one of the shopmen saw it there and remarked, "Is that
thing in here again?"

Gordon Hamilton

---