N&W power car pix

Mon Mar 4 19:31:44 EST 2019

Jim, Considering the date of this slide I would suggest that's on of the EF express cars that eventually became power cars. There were 2 slightly different designs of these cars.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

Duplicates of this slide (link is below) have surfaced on ebay several times over the past couple years.  What I find interesting is the single car in the train:  a portable power generator converted from a boxcar.  Strange that it’s being moved by itself.  Suggestions as to why?  Maybe an “emergency” situation somewhere?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slide-Train-Railroad-Steam-Engine-N-W-Norfolk-Western/163571303064?hash=item26159c0298:g:-PMAAOSwUElceGkG

I have attached a shot of power car 410 and I’ve seen a power car in the background of the 0-8-0 228 shot (also attached).  Just curious as to if there were several of these cars and where would they have been used other than with office cars as may be the case with 410.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com