Where Is/Was the "Big Spring at Elliston ?

Wed Apr 17 14:30:50 EDT 2019

Abram,

This response does not provide exact answers to the questions you raised but perhaps provides some useful background information.

What I believe to be the  location of the Big Spring is about  2000 feet west of where the depot was in Elliston, on the south side of the tracks.  If you look on Google Earth, you will see some ponded water that still exists there  and is related to the spring.  It is on the north side on Rt.11/460 between that and the tracks.  While I do not direct knowledge of this, I have read that the spring and pond were used to produce watercress which was put on “an express train” in Elliston and shipped overnight to New York restaurants.  One will still see watercress growing in the pond.

There is still a large grain mill just to the east of where the depot was and on the north side of the tracks.  This is Big Spring Mill.

        Ray Smoot