NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 174, Issue 11

Fri Jun 7 10:04:00 EDT 2019

Exactly. My experience has been that the guys who did the hard stuff don't
want to talk about it. One of my college buddies was an adult before he
found out that his father had been a 5 kill ace flying Corsairs off a
carrier in the Pacific. Bob's father had always just said he had been in the
Navy and little more, so Bob was astounded when he came across his father's
name in a book on air combat in the Pacific. Another college friend married
a woman whose father insisted on being addressed as "Colonel" more than 40
years after WW2 ended. Even his wife referred to him as "The Colonel." He
even wore his WW2 officer's uniform to his daughter's wedding. It turned out
this this pompous jackass had been in the Judge Advocate General Corps
during WW2 - in other words, an Army lawyer - and had spent the entire war
in New Jersey.

Rob Doorack