Train 7 consist

Sun Jun 9 21:07:42 EDT 2019

Seems like I saw an RF&P coach on #7 a few times . . .

Ed King

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 5:03 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: Train 7 consist

Jim,

There are pictures of this train in the online database and publications that may be helpful.

My recollection from seeing the train several times in the Lynchburg area and riding it once from Lynchburg to Bedford is that it typically had three or four headend cars and one non-streamlined coach. The headend cars were mail and express without a RPO. Sometimes the consist hit a bit longer with deadheaded cars being taken to Roanoke.

   Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPhone

  On 1 of my records is a scene with Train 7 making a quick stop at Blue Ridge station in August 1957.  The caption states the train was cancelled a week later and that the consist was a 2-car train pulled by a K-2a.

  This is an ideal train for a small layout.  I “assume” the consist was a baggage and coach, possibly a Pg.  Does anyone have more info about this train, specifically what the 1st car may have been?  I have the K-2a and plan to build a Pg using Bob Chapman’s RMC article from many years ago but would like to know what the baggage (or combine?) was.

  Jim King

  www.smokymountainmodelworks.com