All the beautiful colors

Wed Jun 26 11:20:40 EDT 2019

I'm sure you'll get detailed answers, but let me get the ball rolling.
First, set the date of October, 1964 firmly in your mind.  That's when N&W
merged/leased/whatever the Wabash, Nickle Plate, and some miscellaneous
RRs.  Before that, it's simple.  Freight diesels were black and the 500
series passenger GP-9s (only!) were red/maroon/pick a name.

After the merger, Wabash influence caused a change in which their blue was
slapped on...er...applied to everything.  After a while this aberration was
ended by enlightened management and N&W >>> NS went to all black (with a
very few exceptions like a small number of maroon SD-40s and U-30Cs) with
varying styles of white striping.

That's a "Readers' Digest summary".  I'll leave it to the bona fide experts
to fill in the details.

Regards,

Dave Phelps

P.S. - Apologies, I guess, for my obvious biases with regard to colors.
"To each his/her own."