Caboose paint schemes

Wed Aug 7 08:47:29 EDT 2019

The cab (caboose) at Rural Retreat VA, 518-634, is a class C-31 cab built
in 1970.  All C-31 cabs were delivered to the N&W in the Pevler Blue scheme
with yellow lettering, yellow half moon heralds, red and yellow striped
ends,  and silver (or aluminum) coated roofs.  Many became C-31Ps for pool
service.  Aside from the as delivered Pevler Blue paint scheme most
C-31's/C-31P's were repainted into the red NW scheme (as the cab at Rural
Retreat is currently painted).  So with all this said the cab at Rural
Retreat never had a brown roof.  If the cab were to be repainted (to
maintain historical/prototypical correctness) it should either be repainted
into the Red-NW  scheme that it is currently in or into the Pevler Blue and
yellow scheme that it was delivered in.

Ed Painter - Member #70 - Living in Cohutta, GA from Narrows, VA  (with
many Painter and Crockett ancestors from Wythe County....)