Question re: Athearn PRR 7203 color - "Brunswick Green"

Mon Aug 12 14:56:13 EDT 2019

The official designation for the paint color on the upper part of steam locomotives, and tenders, as well as all the GG1s except the five painted Tuscan for Congressional and Senator service, and all the freight diesels is: DGLE - Dark Green Locomotive Enamel.

It was formulated (or mixed) EXACTLY as "The Master of the Turnip Patch" described.

One reason often cited (without official documentation to back it up) is that the green reflected light differently than "gloss
black" and so minor dings and dents were not as evident.  This was from the days when all locomotives were kept clean and the PRR was mindful of the public image.
Although the above is plausible, it may have absolutely no basis in fact.

From sweltering northernmost VA
Jim Stapleton
Rivet Counter in training