1. RE: Class J Service - Christmas Rush 1958 (NW Mailing List)

Fri Sep 27 10:08:59 EDT 2019

.  What followed a few
hours later was another troop train which we followed until about
dark.  Memories are sketchy due to my being about 7 at the time.
Louis Newton noted that N&W had a practice of running a 2ndsection to No. 26 in order to get the anchor-crankers (sailorsthat is), back to the navy bases in Norfolk before their holiday
leave expired.  Believe this happened just minutes into January 2, 1957.  The U.S. 17 crossing west of Bridge #7 atSouth Norfolk was protected by wig-wags.  A motorist failedto comply when the crossing signal was activated and  wasstruck by 2/26.  The Virginia Highway Patrol came to investigateand inevitably it came to the point when the engineer was askedwhat speed the train was making at the time of the collision."Don't know" was the engineer's response.  So the patrolmanrationalized that the engineer was involved with braking,and consumed by the pending collision.   Truth was, the needleon the speed recorder had pegged on the 100 MPH mark.                                                            Harry Bundy