NWHS 58 Year Magazine Program

Wed Oct 2 22:09:46 EDT 2019

Good to hear about this NWHS Program, Mr Hamilton. I made a few half-hearted attempts to type out the tables of contents of dads N&W magazine collection - but it’s certainly no database.

Where can I learn more?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

For the record, below are some of the Motive Power supervisors (including Charlie Wilkerson) and clerks at Shaffers Crossing that I knew following my September 1958 return from military service.  My feeble memory could not have produced this list, particularly titles, without help from the NWHS program (still under development) that let me search for names through a database covering some 58 years of the N&W Magazine.

M. R. “Buck” Francis, Master Mechanic

C. M. Pettrey, Asst. Master Mechanic

V. L. Minnick, General Foreman (office adjacent to Master Mechanic's office)

Henry Cornick, Chief Clerk, Master Mechanic's Office

“Ham” Feather, Clerk, Master Mechanic's Office

C. A. “Preacher” Hensley, Car Foreman

Unlike the Shop Track (freight car repairs) the roundhouse operated around the clock and had a roundhouse foreman on each shift.  Some of those personnel are:

George R. Brogan, Roundhouse Foreman

R. J. Barry, Roundhouse Foreman, retired and replaced by:

C. S. “Charlie" Wilkerson, Roundhouse Foreman; later Master Mechanic -Locomotive-Roanoke Territory

Earl Grace, Roundhouse Foreman

Harry Whorley, Roundhouse Clerk

Sonny Long, Roundhouse Clerk

Don Muse, Roundhouse Clerk

These names bring back a lot of mostly good memories.

Gordon Hamilton